Question

Recursion Limit Exceeded: Error After 100 Iterations in Business Process

Hello, community,

I am running a business process, but after 100 iterations, the process stops, and I get this error: 'Operation interrupted to prevent recursive execution. The maximum allowed background recursion depth of 100 has been exceeded while performing these operations.'
I researched the issue and adjusted the 'Maximum Number of Repetitions' in the business process configuration, as well as a system setting called 'MaxProcessLoopCount.' However, I am still encountering the same error.

Like 0

1 comments

Good day,

The issue you're encountering is related to the number of records being passed to the subprocess. Here are some suggestions for resolving this situation:

1. Add or adjust recursion trigger conditions:
   - For instance, if the trigger is based on changes to the `Contact.Age` field, consider adding a condition to ensure the age is not empty before initiating recursion.

2. Redesign the process to avoid recursion:
   - Replace recursion with iteration: Instead of processing records one by one with recursion, you can read and process multiple records in a sequential manner, ensuring that you do not handle a new record until the current one is fully processed.
   - Consolidate changes into a single process: Rather than reacting to various changes across different processes, use one process to handle all necessary changes at once. For example, initiate triggers in a single business process (BP) with all modifications related to a specific entity, which helps in minimizing and managing recursion more effectively.

It is crucial to first review the process logic with the above suggestions, as increasing the `MaximumBackgroundRecursionDepth` parameter could lead to application performance issues, such as slowing down or exhausting server memory, which might result in application restarts or stops.

In your system, the `MaximumBackgroundRecursionDepth` parameter is currently set to 100 (default is 100). The issue arises when the number of subprocess calls exceeds this value.

To address this problem, you may need to increase the `MaximumBackgroundRecursionDepth` parameter to accommodate all records, rather than only the initial 100.

Regards,
Orkhan

Show all comments